Mt. Baker Snoqualmie National Forest Archaeologist Jan Hollenbeck Announces Retirement

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I have decided to close this chapter, and open a new one – life as a federal retiree.  My goal is to be retired for at least as long as I worked for the Forest Service – 32 years! December 31st will be my last day.

I wish you all well, and may you all have a happy retirement somewhere in your future!

Jan Hollenbeck, Archaeologist
Heritage & Tribal Programs Manager
Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest
US Forest Service

 

Share

VACANCY FOR LACEY HISTORICAL COMMISSION and PARKS BOARD

LACEY, WA, December 11, 2014:  The Lacey City Council is currently recruiting for vacancies on the Historical Commission and Parks Board.

The Lacey Historical Commission provides leadership in historic preservation and developing information concerning the historical significance of the local Lacey area. The Historical Commission meets the 4th Wednesday of the month at 5:30 p.m. Historical Commission members serve three-year terms with a two-term limit. The vacancy must be filled by a professional who has experience in evaluating historic resources. A person with a background as an architect, historian, or planner would qualify for the position. Applicants for this vacancy can be either a resident of the City of Lacey or reside within Lacey’s Urban Growth Area.

The Parks Board plans for the future development of parks and playground systems in the City.  Meetings are held the 4th Monday of the month at 5:30 p.m. in Lacey City Hall. Parks Board members serve three-year terms with a two-term limit. Applicants for this vacancy can be either a resident of the City of Lacey or reside within Lacey’s Urban Growth Area.

If you are interested in serving on the Lacey Historical Commission or Parks Board, and would like to receive an application, please contact Jenny Bauersfeld at (360) 413-4387, or by email jbauersf@ci.lacey.wa.us. You may also download an application from the City’s website at www.ci.lacey.wa.us. Please submit a letter of interest and resume along with your application.

Share

2015 Events – Historic Seattle

Historic Seattle

Historic Seattle has released its calendar of upcoming events for 2015. It includes a fantastic selection of tours and lectures. Check out their website for more info.

http://historicseattle.org/events/

 

 

 

Share

King County Historic Preservation Officer Julie Koler is Retiring!

JulieKolerPartyInvite

Share

Creative Space – Tacoma

Date: Thursday, December 4
Time: 4:30 – 7 pm
Location: Tacoma Post Office Building, Post Hall, 1102 A Street, 4th floor
FREE! Appetizers and drinks will be provided
RSVP: Hayli@gtcf.org or (253) 383-5622

Join us for a community conversation about creative vitality and its relationship to space.

Space for creative activity is an important ingredient for flourishing neighborhoods and cities and may include traditional venues such as museums and performance halls and non-traditional venues such as churches, parks and coffee shops. Artist live/work enclaves, affordable housing, co-working spaces, special events, and creative businesses activate space, giving life to streetscapes and definition to communities.

How do we build our neighborhoods to include a sustainable creative life-force?

How do we best use our existing assets?

What strategies do we currently employ to engage the creative community?

Where are the gaps?

Special guest Michael Seiwerath, executive director of the Capitol Hill Housing Foundation will share how they transformed a police parking lot into a beautiful destination including affordable housing, performing arts space, community meeting space and local retail. 12 Avenue Arts just celebrated its grand opening in Seattle and is pivotal to a movement making Capitol Hill a designated arts district.

Wendy Holmes and Teri Deaver from Artspace, the nation’s leader in artist-led community transformation will discuss creative place making and announce the launch of Artspace’s new market survey about creative space needs in Tacoma that will enable people to make their specific needs known.

Enjoy refreshments and meet representatives from local organizations and creative space providers including Spaceworks Tacoma, Tacoma’s Historic Preservation Office, Tacoma Housing Authority, Broadway Center for the Performing Arts, Metro Parks Tacoma and more.

This free public event is hosted by the City of Tacoma, The Greater Tacoma Community Foundation and Artspace with the generous support of JPMorgan Chase.

Share

2014 Holiday Tour of Historic Homes Benefitting the Olympia Historical Society & Bigelow House Museum

The Olympia Historical Society & Bigelow House Museum is sponsoring the Holiday Tour of Historic Homes.  This year’s event is on Sunday, December 7, 2014 from noon to 4:00 p.m. and features six historic properties along with the Bigelow House at 918 Glass Avenue NE, where tickets and refreshments will be available the day of the tour.

This year’s tour features several important landmarks and Olympia Historic Register properties in the east side area of Olympia:

The Bigelow/Bailey House at 936 Glass Avenue is a 19th Century Decorated Pioneer style house closely associated with the Bigelow Family which offers an opportunity to learn about historic preservation and environmentally sound improvements for historic properties.  The turn of the 20th century Cyrus and Ida Kaler House, at 909 Glass Avenue renovated in the 1990s, has distinctive Queen Anne detailing and interior features. The National Register-designated Charles and Delia Patnude House, at 1239 8th Avenue SE, a Gothic Revival cottage style, built in 1893 has elaborate exterior and interior detailing.  The Frank and Ida Backlund House at 616 Boundary SE built in the 1930s is a brick interpretation of the Composite Tudor style.  The Meyer-Chitty House at 618 Milas Avenue NE built in the early 1920s is a large, impressive Craftsman style Bungalow home.  The White House, now the Swantown Inn at 1431 11th Avenue SE is an outstanding 19th Century Queen Anne/Eastlake style home.  The Bigelow, Bigelow/Bailey, Kaler, White and Patnude Houses are listed on the Olympia Heritage Register.

A special highlight of the tour will be the grand opening of the restored Gothic Bedroom in the Bigelow House, made possible through a 2014 Thurston County Heritage Grant.

Tour tickets are $20.00 per person and are available in advance  at Drees at 524 Washington St. SE; Popinjay at 414 Capitol Way S., and Thompson Furniture at 5407 Capitol Boulevard.

Proceeds of the tour benefit the preservation and interpretation of Olympia’s historic Bigelow House and the Olympia Historical Society.  One of the state’s oldest residences, the Bigelow House is owned by the non-profit Olympia Historical Society & Bigelow House Museum.  This National Register House has its original furnishings and has been restored to reflect Washington’s Territorial period, along with later period dining room and kitchen.  It was the home of Daniel and Ann Elizabeth Bigelow and their descendants for well over 100 years before becoming a museum.

Please see www.olympiahistory.org/wp/  or e-mail olyhistory@gmail.com

Share

STYLE GUIDE – French Norman: 1918 to 1940

2577 W_Viewmont Way_SeattleWhile never as popular as Colonial or Tudor Revival, there are a number of good examples of French Norman inspired structures here in the Pacific Northwest.

The French Norman style, like the English Tudor, is a revival style that harkens directly back to medieval European architecture.  However, unlike other French inspired architecture such as the Second Empire, Beaux Arts and the Chateauesque styles, which were based on grand Parisian palaces, the French Norman style is modeled after the rural vernacular architecture of the French countryside.  The style was utilized most often in DomesticArchitectureRuralFrance_SamuelChamberlainresidential architecture and emerged from an increased knowledge of French architecture and an appreciation for French culture following WWI.  Among the literature providing architects and builders with many models to draw design ideas from was H.D. Eberlein’s Small Manor Houses and Farmsteads in France, published in 1926; Samuel Chamberlain’s Domestic Architecture in Rural France, published in 1928; and a variety of local lumber yards such as Copeland Lumber Company who provided builders with ideas and low cost plans.

HouseAngeles (1)As the name implies, the style borrows its design cues directly from the Normandy region of France.  In the region, barns were attached to living quarters, and grain or silage was stored in a central tower/turret.  On the French Norman style this element serves as the main character defining feature of the style.  The tower, most often round, could be octagonal or square in plan and is capped with a cone shaped roof.  In most homes this tower serves as the main entry and inside, a convenient place for stairs.  Most French Norman style dwellings rely on a side gable or steeply pitched hip roof.  Some employ clipped gables, while others simulate thatched roofs with upturned ridges and/or rolled eaves.

1603 25th Ave LongviewExterior walls are clad in brick, stone, stucco, shingle, or any combination thereof.  Some may utilize decorative half-timbering on a portion of the façade.  The idea is to create a building that appears to have developed over time.   Other features include asymmetrical placements of multi-pane windows, wall dormers with hip or shed roofs, round or segmental openings, and plank-like entry doors with large decorative wrought-iron hinges.

For more information about architectural styles in Washington State or to see examples of the French Norman style in Washington State go to: http://www.dahp.wa.gov/learn-and-research/architectural-style-guide

Share

Nutty Narrows Bridge, Dedicated to the Safe Passage of Squirrels, has been added to the NRHP!

NuttyNarrowsBridge3_Small The Nutty Narrows Bridge that was erected to create a safe, above-street crossing for the City of Longview squirrels has been listed to the National Register of Historic Places.  When constructed in 1963, the bridge received world-wide attention and was featured in Sports Illustrated, the Christian Science Monitor and the London Daily Press.

The Bridge is a small-sized catenary bridge that allowed squirrels to move between the Park Plaza office building and a city park across the street. The bridge is the oldest known squirrel bridge in the United States. Envisioned by the owner of a construction company, Amos J. Peters, the Nutty Narrows squirrel bridge was constructed in March of 1963 and reflects a modern design aesthetic combined with the do-it-yourself style of Amos J. Peters.

AmosPeters Taxidermy SquirrelAmos Peters, the bridge’s designer and builder, discovered the need for the bridge when he noticed a red squirrel in the road in front of his office building that had met a vehicular demise. Peters collected the remains of the dead squirrel and carried it home to show his three children.  After some months in the family freezer, the children, unbeknownst to Peters, pooled their allowance money and took the frozen squirrel to a taxidermist for preservation. It was their 1963 Christmas gift to their father. This stuffed squirrel, the inspiration for the Nutty Narrows Bridge, is on display at the office of the Amos Peters Construction Company to this day.

Peters first kept the idea of building a squirrel bridge to himself because he believed others would think he was a “nut.”  However, after Peters mentioned the idea of the squirrel bridge to insurance man Win Jones, another tenant of the Park Plaza building, “things moved rapidly.”  With agreement from Frank Willis, the Longview Parks Department superintendent, on February 28, 1963, Peters presented the idea to the Longview City Council. Before finalizing the design, Peters consulted with architect Robert Newhall and civil engineer Donald Kramer, as directed by the City Council.  LeRoy Dahl, an employee of Newhall, participated in finalizing the design. All of the Nutty Narrows engineering and architectural service providers had offices in the Park Plaza office building. Peters promised the “entire initial cost … together with its future maintenance [would] be financed by Park Plaza.” With approval from the “City department heads,” the City Council unanimously passed a motion to accept the offer. At this same meeting, councilwoman Mrs. P. H. LaRiviere, Sr., was reported to have “facetiously suggested the name ‘Nutty Narrows’,” and thus it has been known as such ever since. This was likely a reference to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, famous for its 1940 collapse in Tacoma, Washington.

Within two days of the council’s decision, news of a squirrel bridge had spread across the United States. Peters then reported that because of all the national attention, the bridge’s design “would have to be slightly more elaborate” than originally planned. After “three or four nights at [his] drawing board” Peters completed the plans for the bridge.

Nutty Narrows Bridge PlanWith a design in hand, Peters along with William J. Hutch, his brother-in-law and co-owner of the Amos J. Peters Construction Company, built the bridge in the company’s workshop at a cost of about $1,000.

On March 30, 1963, the bridge was unveiled at a grand dedication ceremony, complete with marching bands.  A temporary platform for dignitaries to speak was also constructed at the site of the bridge. The Longview Police closed the street to traffic and the 60-foot-long bridge was hung over Olympia Way.  The Kelso Chamber of Commerce sent several representatives with a large box of peanuts labeled “Kelso Nuts for Longview Squirrels.” Chief of the State Patrol, Roy A. Betlach (who was representing Governor Albert Rosellini), “was lifted 20 feet above the crowd in a park department cherry picker personnel crane and snipped the bright blue ribbon dedicating what he had earlier called the ‘road for rodents’.”

Reports of the dedication of the bridge spread far and wide. Articles appeared in newspaper such as the Denver Catholic Register, the London Daily Express; the News-Sentinel of Fort Wayne, Indiana; the Alexandria Gazette of Virginia; and The Daily at Des Moines, Iowa.” Even the Christian Science Monitor and Sports Illustrated Magazine.

Nutty Narrows Media Coverage, Oregonian- March 20, 1963Over the years local businessmen have used the bridge and squirrels to promote their businesses in a tongue-in-cheek way.  A civic boaster group, called the Sandbaggers, even staged a campaign to import squirrels when the population dwindled over the harsh winter of 1968-69.

Over the years, students, writers, and individuals of all ages who loved animals contacted Peters about the bridge. Peters was appreciative of the letters and personally answered each one, until they became so numerous that it became a burden. At that point, a year after the Nutty Narrows Bridge had been erected, he began responding with a form letter.  Today, members of the Peters family, the City of Longview, and the Sandbaggers carry on the fun and the tradition of making safe travel for squirrels.  In fact such efforts have spawned the construction of several additional squirrel bridges in the city.

Over the years the bridge has been taken down a several times for repairs and has been moved four times due to the failure of the attached structural supports.  In 2010 it was reinstalled near it original location.  The Sandbaggers, once again in true form, held a “tongue-in-cheek” ceremony before convening at the Monticello Hotel for cake and squirrel-themed cocktails. The ceremony included “speeches, a prayer, cheerleaders, a ribbon cutting and a release of doves.”

The Nutty Narrows Bridge is unique. While there have been other squirrel bridges proposed, only a handful of cities are known to have constructed them, and except for the new squirrel bridges built in Longview, none of these were in the United States.

Over the years, the Nutty Narrows Bridge has been taken on almost legendary status.  It is listed in multiple tourist guides as a “must see” in Longview and has been listed on RoadsideAmerica.com, an online “Guide to Offbeat Tourist Attractions” as “worth a detour.” Postcards and shirts with a local artist’s design were made available for several years. While not the initial intent of the Nutty Narrows Bridge, its value as a means to promote the City of Longview has long been acknowledged.

Today, the legacy of the Nutty Narrows bridge is embodied in the annual Squirrel Fest, a celebration of squirrels, was introduced by the Sandbaggers in August of 2011.  Since then three other squirrel bridges have been erected with plans for more.

The nominated object itself consists of a symmetrical catenary bridge with a flattened canvas fire hose deck, and a 10’ long mock suspension structure at its center. It is approximately 60 feet in length.  The bridge structure was made from aluminum tubing, part of which was old TV antenna.

 

Share

APA’s 2014 Great Places in America are Historic

The American Planning Association (APA) has announced their 2014 list of Great Places in America: https://www.planning.org/greatplaces/. Sub-categories include Great Neighborhoods, Great Public Spaces, and Great Spaces. This years listing identifies Fremont in Seattle as a Great Neighborhood and Rainier Vista on the University of Washington campus as a Great Public Space.  

APA’s increasingly visible Great Places in America program raises the profile of locations in our nation that are truly iconic in representing successful and noteworthy places and to visit, live, and enjoy. Each year, the program’s listed streets, neighborhoods, and spaces are historic places or places that have preserved elements of the past. Over the years, Washington State has been well-represented in the listings including Browne’s Addition Historic District in Spokane, Downtown Walla Walla, Point Defiance Park in Tacoma, Pike Place Market in Seattle, and Esther Short Park in Vancouver.

Do you know of a great place in your community? Consider nominating it to the APA in 2015.

 

Share

DAHP is on TV-W!

See our own Russell Holter speak about railroads in Washington as part of the opening ceremonies for the 1889 Statehood Exhibit.

The program will air on TV-W November 25th at 8 am and 7:30 pm and November 27th at 1 pm.

You can also see the video on the TV-W website.

 

Share